- 1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 egg yolks
- 5 egg whites
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup milk, or as needed
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, stir together the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, wheat germ, and baking powder. Make a well in the center, and stir in the egg yolks, applesauce and milk until fairly smooth. If the batter seems too thick, stir in more milk. In a separate bowl, whip the egg whites with an electric mixer to soft peaks. Fold egg whites into the batter, just until blended.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Scoop large spoonfuls of batter onto the hot pan, and fry until bubbles appear on the surface. Flip and cook until browned on the other side. Continue with remaining batter.
fluffy pancakes with wheat germ and applesauce, Whole Grain Pancakes recipe