- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2/3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup golden raisins (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- Preheat an oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease 12 muffin cups, or line the cups with paper muffin liners.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin pie spice; set aside. Combine the brown sugar, white sugar, oil, applesauce, pumpkin, buttermilk, and beaten eggs and mix until well blended. Pour the pumpkin mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until combined. Fold in the raisins and pecans, if desired.
- Divide the batter evenly in the prepared muffin pan. Bake in the preheated oven until the tops spring back when lightly pressed, 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool the muffin pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes before removing the muffins from the pan.
whole wheat pumpkin-applesauce muffins, recipe