- 1 (16 ounce) package elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 (6 ounce) can salmon, drained and flaked
- 1 tablespoon seafood seasoning (such as Old Bay®)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can peas and carrots, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 slices day-old bread
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a rolling boil over high heat. Once the water is boiling, stir in the macaroni, and return to a boil. Cook the pasta uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the pasta has cooked through, but is still firm to the bite, about 8 minutes. Drain well in a colander set in the sink. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir the softened butter into the macaroni.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat; cook the onion in the oil until brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in the salmon and seafood seasoning and cook until warmed through, about 5 minutes more. Remove from heat and pour the red wine vinegar into the skillet and set aside to cool.
- Mix together the Cheddar cheese, eggs, milk, and vegetable stock in a large mixing bowl. Add the salmon mixture, peas and carrots, and corn; mix. Stir in the macaroni. Season with salt and pepper. Spread into the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Toast the bread and break into small pieces. Combine the toasted bread and Parmesan cheese in a food processor; blend until chopped into crumbs. Sprinkle over top of the dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven until heated through, about 45 minutes. Allow to cool 15 to 20 minutes before serving.
Salmon Mac and Cheese, recipe