- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/4 pounds ground turkey
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1 pinch adobo seasoning, or to taste
- 1 pinch dried oregano, or to taste
- 1 (24 ounce) jar tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup uncooked white rice
- 2 medium red bell peppers
- 2 medium orange bell peppers
- 2 medium yellow bell peppers
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add ground turkey, onion, and garlic. Season with red pepper flakes, adobo seasoning, and oregano. Cook until turkey is browned and onion is translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Set 1/2 cup tomato sauce aside. Mix remaining tomato sauce, water, and rice into the turkey mixture. Bring to a simmer and cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut stems and tops off the peppers. Carefully core the peppers, removing all seeds and excess ribs, and rinse. Place the peppers on a microwave-safe plate. Cover and microwave for 3 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Evenly spread reserved tomato sauce in the bottom of a baking dish. Carefully arrange peppers in the dish so they will not fall over during baking. Carefully fill about halfway with turkey-rice mixture. Distribute 1 cup cheese over the filling. Add remaining filling and sprinkle tops with remaining cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven until peppers are tender, about 30 minutes. Broil in the last 3 minutes for a crispier, browned top.
acorn's turkey-stuffed peppers, recipe