- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 cubes beef bouillon
- 10 cups water
- 6 whole black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 pounds beef oxtail, cut into pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (12 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1/4 cup cornstarch dissolved in
- 1/2 cup water
- Place celery, garlic, tomato paste, bouillon cubes, and water into a large Dutch oven; stir until the tomato paste has dissolved. Add peppercorns and bay leaves, place over medium heat and bring to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oxtail and cook until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes. Remove oxtail from hot oil and place into Dutch oven. Pour out all but 1 tablespoon of oil from the skillet, reduce heat to medium, and cook the onion until softened and translucent, about 5 minutes; add to oxtail.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 2 1/2 hours. Season with salt and pepper, recover, and continue to cook until the oxtail is tender, but not falling off of the bone, about 30 minutes.
- Remove oxtail pieces and place into a serving dish. Add kidney beans to Dutch oven and return to a simmer. Thicken with cornstarch dissolved in water, simmer for 1 minute until thickened and clear. Pour sauce over the oxtail.
African-Style Oxtail Stew, recipe