- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 3 cups tomato juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Combine applesauce, egg, bread crumbs, and salt and pepper, with ground beef; mix until well blended. (This is best done by hand.) Form mixture into medium-sized meatballs, and roll in flour.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a large skillet over medium high or high heat. Cook meatballs, turning occasionally, until evenly browned but not cooked through. Transfer to a baking dish and set aside.
- In the same skillet, partially cook the carrots and onions over medium high heat. Add tomato juice, season to taste with salt and pepper, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes, then pour over meatballs.
- Cook, covered, in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until carrots are tender and meatballs are cooked through. Cook uncovered for 10 minutes before removing from the oven.
Applesauce Meatballs, recipe