- 2 large eggplant, cut into 1/4-inch rounds
- salt to taste
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) jar marinated artichoke hearts, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained and cut into strips
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano, or to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, or to taste
- 1/4 cup grated Pecorino-Romano cheese, or to taste
- Layer eggplant slices in a bowl, sprinkling salt onto each layer. Set aside for 30 minutes. Spread a layer of paper towel on a work surface; drain eggplant slices on paper towels.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Mix diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, artichoke hearts, and roasted red peppers in a bowl.
- Heat a skillet over medium-low heat; toast pine nuts, stirring occasionally, in the hot skillet until fragrant and lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir toasted pine nuts, garlic, parsley, basil, oregano, and black pepper into tomato mixture using a fork.
- Spread a layer of eggplant in the bottom of the prepared baking dish; spoon 1/3 the tomato mixture atop eggplant layer. Sprinkle 1/3 the red onion, 1/3 the mozzarella, and 1/3 the Pecorino-Romano cheese over tomato layer. Repeat layering until all ingredients are used.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cheese is melted and golden brown, about 40 minutes.
Baked Eggplant Antipasto, recipe