- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 medium red potatoes, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon imitation bacon bits
- 1/8 teaspoon dried celery flakes
- 1 pinch ground dry mustard
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- cayenne pepper to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups rice milk
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 (15 ounce) can European soldier beans, drained, liquid reserved
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and stir in the flour to form a roux. Mix in the onion and garlic, and cook and stir until tender.
- Place the potatoes and bacon bits into the saucepan. Cook and stir until well coated with the roux. Season with celery flakes, ground dry mustard, cloves, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Mix in the rice milk, water, and the liquid from the beans. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes, until the potatoes are tender. Increase the amount of liquid if the soup seems too thick.
- Mix the beans into the soup, and continue cooking about 10 minutes, until heated through.
Bela's Potato and White Bean Chowder, recipe