- 16 ounces bratwurst, casings removed
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 medium head cabbage, chopped
- 3 cups milk, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 ounces Swiss cheese, diced
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, saute the sausage for 10 minutes, or until browned and crumbled. Drain well and discard the fat.
- In a large pot over high heat, combine the browned sausage, potatoes, onion and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the cabbage, return to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for another 20 minutes. Add 2 1/2 cups of the milk and heat slowly to just under a boil. (Note: Don't try to do this too fast, or the milk will burn on the bottom of the pot.)
- In a separate small bowl, mix the flour with the remaining milk, and add to the pot slowly, stirring constantly, so that the flour does not clump. (Note: Make sure you get out all the lumps because they will not cook out on their own.)
- When the mixture in the pot thickens, add the cheese and stir off and on until the cheese has melted.
Bratwurst, Potato and Cabbage Soup, recipe