- 2 cups vegetable oil for frying
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 5 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon margarine, softened (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk, or as needed
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Whisk buttermilk, white sugar, and eggs together in a bowl. Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon together in another bowl. Stir buttermilk mixture into flour mixture until combined; add butter and knead until a soft dough forms.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured work surface and roll to 1/4-inch thick. Cut dough into doughnut shapes using a 2 1/2-inch doughnut cutter.
- Beat confectioners' sugar, margarine, and vanilla extract together in a bowl until smooth. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly, until desired glaze-consistency is reached.
- Working in batches, cook doughnuts in hot oil until golden brown, about 1 minute per side. Transfer cooked doughnuts to a paper-towel lined plate to drain. Dip hot doughnuts into glaze to coat.
Buttermilk Doughnuts, recipe