- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 large butternut squash - peeled, seeded, and cut into chunks
- 4 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 apples - peeled, cored, and diced
- 1 leek, thinly sliced (white and pale green parts only)
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons thyme
- 6 parsnips, peeled and cut into chunks, or more to taste
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 cup half-and-half
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Pour chicken broth into a large stockpot over medium-high heat; add squash, celery, apples, leek, garlic, allspice, and thyme. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook until the vegetables are completely tender, about 30 minutes.
- While the vegetables simmer, put parsnips into a large bowl. Pour coconut oil over the parsnips and toss to coat. Spread parsnips onto a baking sheet.
- Roast parsnips until tender and browned, about 30 minutes; add to soup.
- Ladle vegetables and liquid into a blender in batches so the blender bowl is no more than half full. Hold lid in place with a towel and pulse blender a few times before leaving on to blend; puree until smooth. Repeat until all soup is pureed.
- Pour pureed soup into the pot, stir half-and-half into the soup, and cook until hot, about 5 minutes.
Butternut Squash and Parsnip Soup, recipe