- 3 ounces dried sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups cubed butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (optional)
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup wild rice
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 (4 ounce) container crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Combine the shiitake mushrooms and water in a bowl, assuring the mushrooms are covered with water; allow to soak until the mushrooms have softened, about 30 minutes. Drain and reserve the liquid for later use.
- Preheat an oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Toss the butternut squash, olive oil, and maple syrup together in a bowl until the squash is evenly coated. Spread onto a baking sheet.
- Roast the squash in the preheated oven until tender yet retains its shape, about 30 minutes; set aside.
- Bring the vegetable stock and the reserved liquid from the mushrooms to a simmer in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat; when the butter begins to foam, stir the onion into the butter and cook until the onions are soft and golden, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir the wild rice and the Arborio rice through the onions until evenly mixed and coated. Add the white wine and mushrooms to the onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has been absorbed, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Pour enough of the simmering stock mixture into the skillet to cover the rice; cook and stir until the liquid is nearly completely absorbed. Continue adding stock about 3/4 cups at a time, allowing each batch to absorb into the mixture before adding the next. Cook and stir until the rice is tender, about 35 minutes total. Add the butternut squash; cook until the squash is hot, 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Quickly stir the Gorgonzola cheese and parsley into the mixture until the risotto is moist and creamy; remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper; serve immediately.
Butternut Squash and Shiitake Mushroom Wild Rice Risotto, recipe