- 2 cups sliced yellow squash
- 1 cup sliced zucchini
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 cups crushed buttery round crackers
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 (4 ounce) jar diced pimento peppers, drained
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a large saucepan combine yellow squash, zucchini, onion, green onion, water and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover and cook over medium heat about 6 minutes. Drain well and set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine cracker crumbs and butter. Mix well and spread half of the mixture into the bottom of a 9x13 inch casserole dish.
- In a large bowl combine soup, water chestnuts, carrots, mayonnaise, pimentos, sage, pepper and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Fold in squash mixture and spoon over crumb crust. Sprinkle cheese on top, and then the remaining cracker crumbs.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 30 minutes, or until firm and heated through.
Calico Squash Casserole, recipe