- 1 pinch vitamin C powder
- 5 stalks cardoon, outer membranes and strings peeled
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil for frying
- Dissolve vitamin C powder in a large bowl of water. Soak cardoon stalks to keep from turning brown, about 10 minutes. Drain.
- Bring 2 quarts of water, lemon juice, and salt to a boil in a large pot. Add cardoon stalks; cook until tender yet still firm, 30 to 60 minutes. Drain. Cut into lengths 1/4-inch thick. Cut into 1/8-inch widths.
- Whisk eggs, Parmesan cheese, garlic, and parsley together in a large bowl. Mix in flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper. Add cardoons; mix until evenly coated with batter.
- Heat olive oil in a deep saucepan over medium heat. Spoon batter into the hot oil to make 3-inch fritters; cook until golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes per side.
Cardoon Fritters, recipe