- 1 cup Amish Friendship Bread Starter (see footnote for recipe link)
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 (3 ounce) package cherry Jell-O®
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips, or as needed (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Line 24 cupcake cups with paper liners.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the Amish friendship bread starter, eggs, vegetable oil, 1/2 cup milk, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until thoroughly combined. Mix in the flour and cherry gelatin powder. Spoon the batter into the prepared cupcake cups.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool.
- In a large bowl, beat the vegetable shortening with butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy, and add the vanilla extract. Beat in confectioners' sugar, 1 cup at a time, stopping often to scrape down the sides of the bowl; mix in the milk, and beat until the frosting is light and fluffy. Spread on cooled cupcakes. Sprinkle each cupcake with a few white chocolate chips, if desired.
Cherry Amish Friendship Bread Cupcakes with Buttercream Frosting, recipe