- 2 1/2 cups fresh cherries, pitted and quartered
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 4 (5 ounce) salmon fillets, about 1 inch thick
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Place cherries, butter, red wine vinegar, and honey in a saucepan over medium heat, and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, and cook until cherries are softened and the mixture has reduced, about 10 minutes. While the sauce is simmering, whisk the cornstarch and cold water together in a small bowl, and stir into the cherry mixture. Bring back to a simmer, stirring constantly until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove sauce from heat.
- Preheat the oven's broiler and set the oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source. Sprinkle salmon with salt and black pepper, and place them skin sides down on a broiling pan.
- Broil the salmon for 30 seconds, then remove from broiler and spoon the cherry glaze generously over the fillets. Place back under broiler, and broil until salmon is opaque and the glaze has baked onto the fish, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove salmon and reglaze with cherry sauce once or twice more during cooking. For slightly rare salmon that's still barely pink in the middle, check after about 5 minutes. Let salmon stand 1 minute before serving with extra cherry sauce.
Cherry Glazed Salmon, recipe