- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 4 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup dried onion flakes
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (8 ounce) can carrots, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can white potatoes
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, cut into four squares
- 1 egg, beaten with
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray 4 small oven-proof bowls with cooking spray.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in 2 cups chicken broth, and whisk in all of the flour, gradually adding the remaining chicken broth until you have a smooth, slightly thick base. Mix in onion flakes, hot pepper sauce, pepper, thyme, bay leaf, and carrots. Cook about 5 minutes. Stir in potatoes and chicken, and cook for another 5 minutes.
- In the bottom of each prepared bowl, place a slice of Swiss cheese. Divide the chicken mixture equally into the four bowls, over the cheese. Place a puff pastry square over the top of each bowl, pressing lightly around the rim. Brush the pastry with the egg and water mixture. Place the four bowls on a baking sheet.
- Bake until pastry is puffed and golden brown, about 25 minutes. Let rest at least 5 minutes before serving.
Chicken Pot Pies with Puff Pastry, recipe