- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 slices white bread, toasted and cut into cubes
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Colby longhorn cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C.) Grease a 2 quart casserole dish. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat sugar until it liquefies. Insert a candy thermometer and cook sugar without stirring until it reaches 320 degrees F (160 degrees C). It will be a clear, amber colored syrup.
- Add the water, cinnamon and cloves. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer. Stir in vanilla.
- Layer in prepared casserole dish: half the toast, half the raisins, half the nuts, half the syrup, and half the cheese. Repeat layers. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes. Serve warm.
christmas bread pudding, recipe