- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 sweet Italian pepper, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 (14 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste, or more as needed (optional)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon chopped dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook and stir sausage and garlic in hot oil until browned and crumbly, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer sausage and garlic to a plate using a slotted spoon, leaving any drippings in the saucepan.
- Saute onion, green pepper, sweet pepper, and salt in the same saucepan until slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Add zucchini and continue cooking until onion is translucent, 5 to 10 minutes more. Drain off any excess liquid.
- Stir sausage, crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, basil, rosemary, parsley, black pepper, and red pepper flakes into onion-zucchini mixture. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low, cover the saucepan with a lid, and cook, stirring occasionally, until flavors blend and sauce is thickened, about 2 hours.
Chunky Red Sauce with Ground talian Sausage, recipe