- 2 cups heavy cream, divided
- 3/4 cup coffee beans, coarsely ground
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup superfine sugar
- 3 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons tapioca starch
- 2 tablespoons coffee-flavored liqueur (such as Kahlua®) (optional)
- Combine 1 cup cream and coffee in a container. Stir to combine; seal and let steep in the refrigerator, 8 hours to overnight.
- Remove the cream mixture from the refrigerator. Line a fine-mesh sieve with cheesecloth and place over a medium saucepan. Strain the mixture, squeezing the cheesecloth to extract as much liquid as possible. Discard the cheesecloth and its contents.
- Add remaining cream and 1 cup milk to the saucepan. Bring to a gentle simmer over medium-low heat. Stir in sugar, milk powder, and vanilla extract. Simmer until well combined, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat. Whisk 2 tablespoons milk with tapioca starch. Stir into the hot ice cream base. Stir in coffee liqueur.
- Cool ice cream base to room temperature, at least 20 minutes. Refrigerate, 4 hours to overnight.
- Churn ice cream base in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions, about 20 minutes. Pack into a freezer-safe container. Freeze until firm, at least 6 hours.
cold brew coffee ce cream, recipe