- 5 1/2 pounds crown roast of pork
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 12 ounces pork sausage
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cups dry French breadcrumbs
- 1 (7 ounce) can steamed chestnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups dry vermouth
- 3 slices bacon
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter one 8x8x2 inch glass baking dish and set aside.
- Cover roasting rack with aluminum foil and place in roasting pan. Place crown roast, bone ends up, on foil lined rack. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 1 hour.
- Prepare the stuffing by melting 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and onion; cook until sausage is crumbled and fully cooked. Remove from heat. Stir in bread crumbs, chestnuts, chicken broth, parsley, sage, thyme, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Boil 2 cups broth and vermouth in large saucepan until reduced by half.
- Place the bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble, and set aside.
- In the same skillet over medium high heat, melt 3 tablespoons butter. Add flour; mix and cook until golden brown. Add broth mixture and boil until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Add bacon; season with salt and pepper.
- Remove pork from oven and fill cavity with stuffing; cover stuffing with foil. Transfer remaining stuffing to prepared baking dish.
- Place roast and extra stuffing in oven. Bake until thermometer inserted into center of pork registers 145 degrees F (63 degrees C), about 1 hour. Baste roast occasionally with drippings. Transfer roast to serving platter and cover.
- Carve pork between the bones into chops. Serve with stuffing and gravy.
Crown Roast of Pork with Sausage Stuffing, recipe