- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (2 pound) butternut squash - peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup sour cream, or to taste (optional)
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Cook and stir onion and garlic in hot butter until softened and browned, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir chicken broth, squash, curry powder, salt, cumin, and cayenne pepper into onion mixture. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer until squash is tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir half-and-half and honey into squash mixture.
- Pour squash mixture into a blender no more than half full. Cover and hold lid down; pulse a few times before leaving on to blend. Puree in batches until smooth. Ladle soup into serving bowls and top with a dollop of sour cream.
Curried Butternut Squash Soup, recipe