- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 2 tablespoons self-rising flour
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 7 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- Chocolate Buttercream:
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups cocoa powder
- 5 cups confectioners' sugar, or more as needed
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons milk, or more as needed
- 1 drop vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons chocolate sprinkles, or as needed
- 58 mini chocolate candy-coated Easter eggs
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease 18 muffin cups or line with paper liners.
- Combine 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour, 1/2 cup butter, sugar, eggs, and 2 tablespoons cocoa powder in a bowl. Beat with an electric blender until batter is evenly blended.
- Spoon batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling each 3/4 full.
- Bake in the preheated oven until tops spring back when lightly pressed, 10 to 12 minutes. Cool in the tins for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely, about 20 minutes.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, make the buttercream. Beat 3/4 cup butter in a bowl with an electric blender until light and fluffy. Add 1 1/2 cups cocoa powder and confectioners' sugar alternately with 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk. Add vanilla extract. Beat frosting until it has a spreading consistency, adding more confectioners' sugar or milk as needed.
- Transfer chocolate buttercream to a piping bag with a star tip and pipe a round nest onto each cupcake. Sprinkle nest with chocolate sprinkles and place 3 mini chocolate eggs into each nest.
easter bird nest cupcakes, recipe