- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 minced red chile pepper
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 1/2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2/3 cup kalamata olives, sliced
- 1 (16 ounce) package fresh gnocchi
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion, garlic, and chile pepper; cook until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high, and stir in the cherry tomatoes. Cook until the tomatoes have lost their form and are beginning to make a sauce, about 5 minutes. Stir in the crushed tomatoes, bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 10 minutes.
- While the sauce is simmering, bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the fresh gnocchi, and cook until the gnocchi float to the surface, 2 to 3 minutes. Gently strain out the gnocchi and place into a serving dish.
- Stir the basil and olives into the simmering sauce, and cook for one minute. Pour the sauce over the drained gnocchi and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese to serve.
Gnocchi with Cherry Tomato Sauce, recipe