- 4 large ripe tomatoes, halved and seeded
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 red chile peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the broiler.
- Arrange tomatoes on a medium baking sheet. Checking frequently and turning occasionally, broil tomatoes until darkened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and place in a small, sealed container to cool, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove and discard tomato skins. Chop tomatoes and place in a medium bowl. Mix in red onion, garlic, red chile peppers, cilantro, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Cover and allow to stand about 1 hour before serving.
Grilled Tomato Salsa, recipe