- 3 3/4 cups white sugar
- 1 1/2 cups light corn syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon orange, or other flavored extract
- 1/2 teaspoon food coloring (optional)
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar for dusting
- In a medium saucepan, stir together the white sugar, corn syrup, and water. Cook, stirring, over medium heat until sugar dissolves, then bring to a boil. Without stirring, heat to 300 to 310 degrees F (149 to 154 degrees C), or until a small amount of syrup dropped into cold water forms hard, brittle threads.
- Remove from heat and stir in flavored extract and food coloring, if desired. Pour onto a greased cookie sheet, and dust the top with confectioners' sugar. Let cool, and break into pieces. Store in an airtight container.
hard candy, recipe