- 1 pound dried red beans
- 2 quarts hot water
- 1 pound smoked turkey sausage, cut into chunks
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- Put red beans in a large pot with enough water to cover by several inches. Soak 8 hours to overnight.
- Drain and rinse beans. Pour hot water into the pot. Add beans, sausage, onions, bell pepper, celery, cayenne pepper, salt, and bay leaf to the pot; stir. Place pot over medium heat, put a cover on the pot, and cook, stirring frequently, for 30 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and continue cooking at a simmer until the beans are tender, about 30 minutes more. Remove and discard bay leaf before serving.
Healthy Red Beans and Rice, recipe