- 1 1/2 pounds smoked ham shanks
- 10 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 2 cups lentils
- 1 1/4 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon vinegar, or more to taste
- Place ham shanks and water in pressure cooker over medium heat. Cover and lock; bring to 15 pounds of pressure, reduce heat to low, and cook for 20 minutes. Release pressure immediately using method recommended by the manufacturer. Remove cooked ham shanks with a slotted spoon; transfer to a bowl to cool. Separate meat from bone. Transfer ham broth to a separate bowl for later use.
- Heat olive oil in the pressure cooker over medium heat; cook and stir onion, carrots, celery, and garlic until tender and reduced, about 20 minutes. Add lentils, 8 cups ham broth, thyme, and bay leaf; cover and lock. Bring pressure up to 15 pounds for 6 minutes; immediately release pressure.
- Stir tomatoes, ham, black pepper, and vinegar into soup over low heat until heated through.
Jana's Pressure Cooker Lentil Ham Soup, recipe