- 1 cup basmati rice
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 cardamom pods
- 2 whole cloves
- 1/2 (1 inch) piece cinnamon stick
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1/4 cup green peas
- 2 tablespoons cashews
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- Rinse the rice in 3 or 4 changes of water until the water runs clear. Soak the rice in water for 30 minutes, then drain and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a saucepan with a tight fitting lid over medium-high heat. Pour in the cumin seeds, and cook briefly until they begin to pop, about 30 seconds. Add the cardamom pods, cloves, and cinnamon stick; continue cooking for another minute until the cinnamon stick absorbs the oil.
- Pour in the rice, and stir well to completely coat with the oil. Stir in the water, salt, onion, and peas. Bring to a boil, cover with the lid, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until the rice has absorbed all of the water, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a separate pan, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Stir in the cashews and slivered almonds; cook until golden brown, then stir into the cooked rice.
Matar Pulao with Nuts, recipe