- water to cover
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped green chile pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, divided
- Pour enough water into a pot that will cover lentils and wheat germ; bring to a boil. Add lentils and wheat germ, reduce heat, and simmer until lentils are tender, adding more water if needed, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove pot from heat and cool slightly; mash lentil mixture until thick and lumpy.
- Transfer mashed lentil mixture to a bowl. Mix onion, green bell pepper, mozzarella cheese, egg, green chile pepper, garlic, salt, and pepper into lentil mixture until thoroughly mixed; shape into 8 patties.
- Heat about 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a large skillet over high heat. Lower heat to medium-high and cook 4 patties in the hot oil until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining oil and patties.
'Meat's Too Expensive!' Vegetarian Burgers, recipe