- 2 1/2 quarts chicken stock
- 2 pounds skin-on, bone-in whole chicken legs (drumsticks and thighs)
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1 avocado, peeled and chopped
- 2 serrano peppers, minced
- 2 limes, quartered
- Bring stock to a boil in a large pot over high heat. Add chicken legs; return to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes, skimming away foam that forms on the surface. Add carrots, onion, celery, cilantro, garlic, and mint.
- Cover pot and cook until chicken is no longer pink at the bone and the juices run clear, about 30 minutes more. Remove chicken from the pot; discard skin and bones. Shred meat using 2 forks.
- Return chicken meat to the pot and season with salt and pepper. Add rice. Let chicken and rice warm up, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and pour soup into serving bowls. Top with avocado and serrano peppers and squeeze in lime juice.
Mexican Chicken and Rice Soup (Sopa de Pollo y Arroz), recipe