- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup long-grain rice, rinsed and drained
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 dried pasilla chile pepper, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon chicken soup base (such as Better than Bouillon®)
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir rice in the hot oil until toasted, 6 to 7 minutes. Add onion; cook, stirring often, until soft, 5 to 8 minutes. Stir in pasilla chile and cumin; toast for 2 minutes. Add water, chicken soup base, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil. Stir one last time, cover, and cook for 7 minutes on medium heat. Reduce heat to low and cook for 7 minutes more.
- Remove saucepan from heat and let rice sit, covered, for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
Mexican Rice Pilaf with Pasilla Chile, recipe