- 3 cups white sugar, divided
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- Heat 1 cup of sugar (dry) in a saucepan over medium heat. Do not stir until you start to see the sugar melting and bubbling. When the sugar is completely melted and golden brown, pour it into a 9 inch glass or ceramic pie plate and tilt to coat.
- In a large bowl, mix the milk, remaining sugar, vanilla and eggs until well blended. Pour into the pie plate.
- Cook in the microwave at 50% power for 7 minutes, then cook at 100% power for 8 minutes. A knife inserted into the center of the flan should come out clean when it is done. If it is not done after the 8 minutes, cook at one minute intervals, checking each time. Cool and refrigerate before serving.
- To serve, warm the bottom of the pie plate over a pan of simmering water to loosen the caramelized sugar. Place a serving plate on top of the dish, and invert so that the flan is on the serving dish and the caramelized coating is on top.
microwave flan, recipe