- 1 1/2 cups dried Great Northern beans
- 4 meaty ham hocks
- 5 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups sliced celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- Place Great Northern beans into a large container and cover with several inches of cool water; let stand 8 hours to overnight. Drain water and transfer beans to a large stockpot.
- Mix ham hocks, water, celery, onion, carrot, garlic, thyme, black pepper, and bay leaf with beans in the stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until ham is coming off the bones, about 2 hours.
- Remove ham hocks from soup. Cut meat from bones, discarding fat and bones. Return meat to the pot. Continue cooking until beans reach desired softness.
Mom's Ham and Bean Soup, recipe