- 1 quart vegetable oil for frying
- 4 small eggplants, halved lengthwise
- 1/2 cup ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons vindaloo curry powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Scoop the inside out of the eggplant halves, leaving 1/4 inch of flesh attached to the skin. Roughly chop the removed eggplant, and set the shells aside.
- Heat the ghee in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir the onion and garlic until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the coriander, vindaloo powder, chili powder, and salt; continue cooking 2 to 3 minutes until the spices are very fragrant. Stir in the chopped eggplant flesh, and cook until very soft, mashing as you go. Pour in a little water if needed to keep the eggplant from burning. Keep the mashed eggplant hot over low heat.
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Deep fry the eggplant halves in the hot oil until crisp, about 5 minutes. Drain upside-down on a paper towel-lined plate. Once drained, spoon in the reserved filling, and serve hot.
ndian Stuffed Eggplant, recipe