- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 cup brown basmati rice
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 pattypan squash, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (32 ounce) carton Swanson® Unsalted Chicken Broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add orzo and cook and stir until golden brown with a slight nutty aroma, 5 to 7 minutes. Add rice, onion, squash, bell pepper, and red pepper flakes and continue to stir until rice is coated in butter, about a minute.
- Stir in the Swanson(R) Unsalted Chicken broth, thyme, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat to low. Cook until orzo is al dente and rice is tender and has absorbed the liquid, about 35 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in parsley and Parmesan cheese.
Orzo-Rice Pilaf with Patty Pan Squash and Bell Pepper, recipe