- cooking spray
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 cups coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 lemon, zested
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Combine lemon juice, egg whites, lemon extract, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment; beat until thick and fluffy. Beat in applesauce, coconut oil, and honey.
- Mix coconut flour, almond flour, baking powder, and baking soda together in a separate bowl. Turn on mixer; add coconut flour mixture gradually until batter is just combined.
- Scrape batter into the prepared baking pan; press gently with your palm to spread it evenly in the pan. Sprinkle lemon zest evenly on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven until top is golden brown, about 50 minutes. Cool in the pan for at least 30 minutes. Invert onto a rack to continue cooling, about 30 minutes. Slice into 12 bars.
Paleo Coconut Lemon Cake, recipe