- 6 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 5 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 large onion, diced small
- 20 baby carrots, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 dash ground nutmeg
- 4 green onions, finely sliced
- 1 dash paprika, or to taste
- Place potatoes into a large pot and cover with water; bring to a boil. Cook until fork-tender, about 10 minutes. Drain.
- Place bacon in a large saucepan and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until crispy, about 8 minutes. Drain bacon slices on paper towels. Pour out bacon grease.
- Melt butter in the saucepan over medium heat, scraping the bottom of the pan with a flat-edged wooden spoon. Add celery, onion, carrots, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; cook and stir until tender, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle in flour; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Pour half-and-half and chicken broth into the saucepan. Add potatoes, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, thyme, cayenne pepper, and nutmeg. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Stir in bacon pieces. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, until flavors combine, about 10 minutes.
- Ladle into serving bowls. Garnish with 1/2 teaspoon pepper, green onions, and paprika.
Perfect Potato Soup, recipe