- 1 1/4 pounds beets with greens attached
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 leeks, white and light green parts only, chopped and washed
- 1/2 pound celery root, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup 1/2-inch cubed carrots
- 1/4 pound parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 cups 1/2-inch cubed boiling potatoes
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, or to taste
- 6 hard-boiled eggs, quartered lengthwise
- Trim greens and stems from beets. Thoroughly wash and chop greens and stems. Peel and cut beets into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Bring beets, chicken broth, leeks, celery root, carrots, and parsnips to a boil in a large pot. Add potatoes, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until vegetables are tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Stir beet greens and stems into soup and simmer until greens and stems are tender, about 5 minutes. Mix sugar, lemon juice, and salt into soup.
- Stir sour cream and flour together in a bowl until smooth and thickened. Whisk 1 cup soup into sour cream mixture until smooth; pour sour cream mixture into soup and stir. Simmer soup until thickened slightly, about 1 minute. Add dill and remove pot from heat. Ladle soup into serving bowls and arrange 4 egg quarters in each bowl.
Polish Beet Soup, recipe