- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 roma (plum) tomatoes, diced
- 2 teaspoons za'atar
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 cup carrot juice
- 4 cups water
- 1 cube chicken bouillon
- 1 cube tomato-flavored bouillon
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1/4 cup bulgur
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro (optional)
- 6 tablespoons sour cream (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a stockpot over low heat; cook and stir onion in the hot oil until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Cook and stir tomatoes, za'atar, paprika, cumin, garlic powder, black pepper, and cayenne pepper into onion mixture; stir to coat. Add carrot juice, water, chicken bouillon cube, tomato-flavored bouillon cube, lentils, and bulgur; cook over low heat until lentils are tender and bulgur has absorbed liquid, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Ladle about 2/3 the lentil mixture into a blender and puree until smooth. Return puree to stockpot and stir. Simmer over low heat for about 5 more minutes to blend flavors. Remove from heat; stir lemon juice and cilantro into soup. Top individual servings with a dollop of sour cream.
Red Lentil and Bulgur Soup, recipe