- 3 cups cubed butternut squash
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup mellow white miso
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 (16 ounce) package farfalle (bow-tie) pasta
- 2 cups diced yellow onion
- salt to taste
- 3 leaves fresh sage, minced
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Combine squash and 1 tablespoon oil on a baking sheet; toss until coated.
- Roast in the preheated oven until tender and lightly browned, about 25 minutes.
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Add cashews; simmer until softened, about 20 minutes. Drain.
- Combine cashews and 1 1/2 cup broth in a blender; blend until very smooth. Add roasted squash, remaining 1/2 cup broth, miso, nutritional yeast, and lemon juice; blend until sauce is combined.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook bow-tie pasta, stirring occasionally, until tender yet firm to the bite, about 11 minutes. Drain, reserving 1 cup pasta water. Transfer pasta to a serving bowl.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and salt; cook and stir until golden brown, about 9 minutes. Add sage and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Pour in cider; cook, stirring up browned bits from the bottom of the skillet, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir half of the cashew sauce into the pasta. Add onion mixture. Stir in enough reserved pasta water to thin and warm sauce. Season with pepper. Garnish with parsley.
sa's Butternut Squash Vegan Alfredo Pasta, recipe