- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon butter, or to taste
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons dukka
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 5 3/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups red lentils
- 1 small bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 1/2 ounces baby spinach leaves
- ground black pepper to taste
- Heat oil and butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, dukkah, garam masala, and garlic; cook and stir until onion softens, about 5 minutes. Stir in sweet potatoes; cook until lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Pour vegetable broth into the pot; stir in lentils and cilantro. Simmer, partially covered, until lentils are tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Add spinach; simmer until wilted, about 5 minutes more. Season dahl with black pepper.
Spiced Sweet Potato Dahl, recipe