- 1 pound dried split peas
- 8 cups water, divided
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 pound cooked ham, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 red onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- Place split peas into a large container and cover with 6 cups cool water; soak 8 hours to overnight. Drain and rinse.
- Mix chicken broth and 2 cups water together in a large pot over high heat; add ham, red onion, split peas, brown sugar, garlic, black pepper, and salt. Bring broth mixture to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until peas are softened, about 2 hours.
Split Pea Soup with Ham, recipe