- 1 (12 ounce) package fresh Chinese egg noodles
- 1 (8 ounce) package bean sprouts
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 chicken breast half, cut into matchstick-sized strips (optional)
- 2 stalks celery, cut into matchsticks
- 3 green onions, sliced into thin strips
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon XO sauce (optional)
- 4 ounces oyster mushrooms, cut into matchsticks
- 3 tablespoons mushroom-infused soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted chicken stock
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook noodles in boiling water, stirring occasionally, until noodles just start to soften, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain.
- Fill a large bowl with ice and cold water. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add bean sprouts and cook, uncovered, until stems start to become translucent, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain in a colander and immediately immerse in the ice water for several minutes to stop the cooking process. Drain.
- Heat oil in a wok over medium-high heat until starting to smoke. Add chicken, celery, green onions, garlic, and XO sauce. Stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook until slightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the cooked noodles, cooked bean sprouts, soy sauce, oyster sauce, and brown sugar. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Add chicken stock; reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer until noodles are tender yet firm to the bite, 2 to 3 minutes. more.
stir-fried shanghai noodles, recipe