- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 apple - peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil, or to taste
- 1 pinch dried thyme
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3 ounces tomato paste, or to taste
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Melt the butter with the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the onion and garlic in the skillet until they begin to brown; add the apple, carrot, basil, and thyme; reduce heat to medium and continue cooking until the carrots are tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in the vegetable stock, tomatoes, and tomato paste; season with salt and pepper. Raise the heat to high and bring to a boil; cover and cook at least 20 minutes, stirring frequently to keep the soup from burning on the bottom.
- Pour the soup into a blender, filling the pitcher no more than halfway full. Hold down the lid of the blender with a folded kitchen towel, and carefully start the blender, using a few quick pulses to get the soup moving before leaving it on to puree. Puree in batches until smooth and pour into a clean pot. Alternately, you can use a stick blender and puree the soup right in the cooking pot.
Tomato Apple Soup (Tomapple Soup), recipe