- 4 large yams
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups apple juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3 large apples - peeled, cored and sliced
- Place yams in a large saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, and cook 30 minutes, or until tender but firm. Drain, peel, and cut into 1/3 inch thick slices.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter with the cornstarch and brown sugar. Mix in the apple juice, lemon juice, cinnamon, and allspice.
- Alternate layers of yams and apples in the prepared baking dish. Pour the apple juice mixture over the layers.
- Cover, and bake 1 hour in the preheated oven. Remove cover, and continue baking 30 minutes. Baste frequently with the juices from the pan to prevent drying.
Yam and Apple Casserole, recipe