- 6 cups hot water, divided
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 (1 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups pearl barley
- Heat 2 cups water to boiling in a microwave-safe bowl, about 2 minutes. Stir beef bouillon cubes and onion soup mix into boiling water until dissolved.
- Pour bouillon mixture and remaining 4 cups water into a slow cooker; set cooker on High. Stir beef, potatoes, onion, carrots, celery, and garlic into the slow cooker.
- Cook, covered, until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork, 4 1/2 to 5 hours. Stir barley into beef mixture; continue cooking until barley is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Turn slow cooker off, remove cover, and allow to cool until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
Alberta Beef Barley Stew, recipe