- 1 1/2 cups French green lentils
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup crushed flax seed
- 2/3 cup egg whites
- 1 (6.5 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
- salt to taste
- Measure the lentils into a saucepan and fill with enough water to cover them by 1 inch. Bring to a boil, and cook until tender, about 45 minutes. Check occasionally and add more water if needed. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease an 8x4 inch loaf pan.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the onion, carrot, bell pepper and wheat germ. Pulse until finely chopped. Transfer to a bowl. Put the lentils into the food processor and process into a paste. Spoon the lentils into the bowl with the vegetables and mix in the rice, bread crumbs, flax seed, egg whites, tomato sauce and olive oil. Season with thyme, cayenne pepper and salt. Spoon the mixture into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes in the preheated oven, until heated through and browned on the top. Cool slightly before slicing and serving.
Alissa's Vegetarian Lentil Meatloaf, recipe