- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 tablespoons ice water
- 3 tablespoons turbinado sugar (such as Sugar in the Raw®)
- Blend all-purpose flour, almond flour, confectioners' sugar, and salt together in a food processor. Add butter; pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add egg yolk, extracts, and ice water and pulse just until a smooth dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto a work surface, divide in half, form into disks, and dust each disk with flour. Wrap disks in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm and cold, at least 1 hour to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll 1 dough disk out onto a floured surface with a floured rolling pin to 1/8-inch thickness. Use a floured 1 1/2-inch round cookie cutter to cut dough into rounds. Cut out the center of each round with a 1/2-inch floured round cookie cutter to form rings. Repeat with remaining dough disk.
- Cut through side of 1 dough ring and slip it around another to intertwine rings, pressing cut pieces together to seal ring. Place interlocked rings on prepared baking sheets.
- Beat egg white until frothy. Gently brush each "love knot" with egg white and sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Bake in the center of the preheated oven until lightly browned on edges, 15 to 18 minutes. Carefully transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
Almond Love Knots, recipe