- 1 (16 ounce) package small curd cottage cheese
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 egg whites
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 (9 inch) pie shell
- Place cottage cheese in strainer and let drain for about 1 hour or until most of liquid has been drained.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, combine cottage cheese, sugar, flour, lemon juice, salt, egg yolks, evaporated milk, and regular milk. Mix well.
- In a separate clean bowl, beat egg whites until firm. Fold into batter until smooth. Pour into pie crusts.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C), then reduce oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and bake for an additional 25 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool on racks, then refrigerate. Flavor improves if served a day after baking.
Amish Custard Cottage Cheese Pie, recipe